Tests or analyzes geological samples, crude oil, or minerals to detect presence of petroleum, gas, or mineral deposits indicating potential for exploration or production or to determine physical or chemical properties to ensure that products meet quality standards.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Natural Resources pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests and analyzes samples to determine their content and characteristics, using laboratory apparatus or testing equipment.
- Collects or prepares solid or fluid samples for analysis.
- Compiles, logs, or records testing or operational data for review and further analysis.
- Assembles, operates, or maintains field or laboratory testing, measuring, or mechanical equipment.
- Participates in geological, geophysical, geochemical, hydrographic, or oceanographic surveys, prospecting field trips, exploratory drilling, well logging, or underground mine survey programs.
- Prepares or reviews professional, technical, or other reports regarding sampling, testing, or recommendations of data analysis.
- Adjusts or repairs testing, electrical, or mechanical equipment or devices.
- Plots information from aerial photographs, well logs, section descriptions, or other databases.
- Prepares notes, sketches, geological maps, or cross sections.
- Participates in the evaluation of possible mining locations.