Analyzes science, engineering, business, and other data processing problems to implement and improve computer systems. Analyzes user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve existing systems and review computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations. May analyze or recommend commercially available software.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway, Programming and Software Engineering pathway.
A person in this career:
- Expands or modifies system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Tests, maintains, and monitors computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Develops, documents and revises system design procedures, test procedures, and quality standards.
- Provides staff and users with assistance solving computer related problems, such as malfunctions and program problems.
- Reviews and analyzes computer printouts and performance indicators to locate code problems, and correct errors by correcting codes.
- Consults with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Confers with clients regarding the nature of the information processing or computation needs a computer program is to address.
- Reads manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn how to develop programs that meet staff and user requirements.
- Coordinates and links the computer systems within an organization to increase compatibility and so information can be shared.
- Determines computer software or hardware needed to set up or alter system.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.