Designs, makes, alters, repairs, or fits garments.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Fits and studies garments on customers to determine required alterations.
- Sews garments, using needles and thread or sewing machines.
- Measures parts such as sleeves or pant legs, and marks or pin-folds alteration lines.
- Takes up or lets down hems to shorten or lengthen garment parts such as sleeves.
- Lets out or takes in seams in suits and other garments to improve fit.
- Assembles garment parts and joins parts with basting stitches, using needles and thread or sewing machines.
- Removes stitches from garments to be altered, using rippers or razor blades.
- Records required alterations and instructions on tags, and attaches them to garments.
- Examines tags on garments to determine alterations that are needed.
- Fits, alters, repairs, and makes made-to-measure clothing, according to customers' and clothing manufacturers' specifications and fit, and applying principles of garment design, construction, and styling.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.