Installs and repairs industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes and tests system operation, using gauges and instruments.
- Adjusts valves according to specifications and charges system with proper type of refrigerant by pumping the specified gas or fluid into the system.
- Tests lines, components, and connections for leaks.
- Dismantles malfunctioning systems and tests components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Adjusts or replaces worn or defective mechanisms and parts, and reassembles repaired systems.
- Brazes or solders parts to repair defective joints and leaks.
- Performs mechanical overhauls and refrigerant reclaiming.
- Keeps records of repairs and replacements made and causes of malfunctions.
- Installs expansion and control valves, using acetylene torches and wrenches.
- Installs wiring to connect components to an electric power source.