Lays and installs carpet from rolls or blocks on floors. Installs padding and trims flooring materials.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects the surface to be covered to determine its condition, and corrects any imperfections that might show through carpet or cause carpet to wear unevenly.
- Rolls out, measures, marks, and cuts carpeting to size with a carpet knife, following floor sketches and allowing extra carpet for final fitting.
- Joins edges of carpet and seam edges where necessary, by sewing or by using tape with glue and heated carpet iron.
- Cuts and trims carpet to fit along wall edges, openings, and projections, finishing the edges with a wall trimmer.
- Plans the layout of the carpet, allowing for expected traffic patterns and placing seams for best appearance and longest wear.
- Stretches carpet to align with walls and ensure a smooth surface, and presses carpet in place over tack strips or uses staples, tape, tacks or glue to hold carpet in place.
- Takes measurements and studies floor sketches to calculate the area to be carpeted and the amount of material needed.
- Installs carpet on some floors using adhesive, following prescribed method.
- Cleans up before and after installation, including vacuuming carpet and discarding remnant pieces.
- Measures, cuts and installs tackless strips along the baseboard or wall.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.