Performs a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Portions and wraps the food, or places it directly on plates for service to patrons.
- Takes and records temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Prepares a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
- Places food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or stores them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Packages take-out foods or serves food to customers.
- Stocks cupboards and refrigerators, and tends salad bars and buffet meals.
- Washes, peels, and cuts various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Carries food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas.