Formulates design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Directs workers engaged in art work or layout design.
This career is part of the Arts, A/V Technology and Communication cluster Visual and Design Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Formulates basic layout design or presentation approach and specify material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, animation, video, and sound.
- Manages own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements.
- Confers with creative, art, copywriting, or production department heads to discuss client requirements and presentation concepts and to coordinate creative activities.
- Presents final layouts to clients for approval.
- Reviews and approves art materials, copy materials, and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members.
- Works with creative directors to develop design solutions.
- Creates custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
- Confers with clients to determine objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Reviews illustrative material to determine if it conforms to standards and specifications.
- Negotiates with printers and estimators to determine what services will be performed.