Plans, directs, or coordinates the services or resources of funeral homes. Includes activities such as determining prices for services or merchandise and managing the facilities of funeral homes.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Consults with families or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details, such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, or plans for services.
- Directs and supervises work of embalmers, funeral attendants, death certificate clerks, cosmetologists, or other staff.
- Schedules funerals, burials, or cremations.
- Sells funeral services, products, or merchandise to clients.
- Monitors funeral service operations to ensure that they comply with applicable policies, regulations, and laws.
- Offers counsel and comfort to families and friends of the deceased.
- Negotiates contracts for prearranged funeral services.
- Responds to customer complaints, legal inquiries, payment negotiations, or other post-service matters.
- Plans and implements changes to service offerings to meet community needs or increases funeral home revenues.
- Directs or monitors administrative, support, repair, or maintenance services for funeral homes.