Prepares, seasons, and cooks soups, meats, vegetables, desserts, and other foodstuffs in restaurants. May order supplies, keep records and accounts, price items on menu, or plan menu.
This career is part of the Hospitality & Tourism cluster Restaurants, Food and Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects and cleans food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensures food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
- Ensures freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Turns or stirs foods to ensure even cooking.
- Seasons and cooks food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Bakes, roasts, broils, and steams meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Weighs, measures, and mixes ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portions, arranges, and garnishes food, and serves food to waiters or patrons.
- Observes and tests foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Washes, peels, cuts, and seeds fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.